First Game at Citi Field Is Against…

By / December 19, 2008 / Uncategorized

UPDATE 12/24 1:47pm

From what I have seen from various websites, the exhibition games are not going to be cheap. I think the Yankees are actually priced better. The cheapest I have been able to find on websites like StubHub are $47.

These are not the Mets prices. When I have the information from the Mets, I will post them.

…the Boston Red Sox.

You read it right. They are playing against the Red Sox for two games.

They are only exhibition games. It will be a part of their Spring Training schedule. The dates are April 3-4.

All proceeds for these two games will go to the Police Athletic League (PAL) and other charities.

Game time on April 3rd is set for 6:10pm and April 4th is 1:10pm. Tickets will be on sale in the next couple of weeks. I will let you know when right here.

I might try to go to one of these games, especially since it’s for charity. I’m hoping they do like they did a few years ago when they let season ticket holders and plan holders into Shea before the season started to see the team work out. It would be sweet if they let us (plan holders) in to see Citi Field before the stadium opens up for games.

Zooomabooma

With ticket prices the way they are nowadays… not to mention you can buy a whole six pack and a whole package of hot dogs AND buns at the grocery store for ONE beer and ONE dog at the ballpark, the only reason to go see a game is if the proceeds go to charity. Just plain asinine. But in a place like NY, there will always be enough butts to fill the seats. The high prices just mean that others won’t be able to afford to go. All in the name of greed. It’s a shame. (And this is from a lifelong, diehard Mets fan who used to enjoy games at Shea quite often. I guess I’ve realized there are more important things in life than seeing a ballgame.)

I really do not think it is fair to get on the case of the Mets about ticket prices while ticket prices have gone up for every sport. This is not just a Mets thing or a baseball thing. The Mets ticket prices are reasonablecompared to the Yankees.

The good thing is that the Mets announced that tickets to these exhibition games will be less expensive than what they normally are. It’s a shame because I wouldn’t have a problem paying regular price for tickets where the proceeds go to charity. Does anyone really think the Yankees are offering discounts to the exhibition games they’re playing against the Cubs in April?

Yankees discount ?!? No way they’ll do that for the two games at the new Yankee Stadium. I do agree with Tanya in the fact that compared to other sports, Baseball is a priced good. As a lifelong NY Rangers fan and as late as 12 years ago i had the Rangers 16 game miniplan. I had this plan back in 1993-94 and watched all the home playoff games at MSG including games 7 vs the Devils and Canucks. Today i watch almost all the Rangers games on MSG tv because i just cannot afford to go anymore. That plus my lady will kill me for spending so much money on 1 hockey ticket..lol. But the Mets new ticket prices for 09 at Citi..yeah it looks like i’ll go to quite a few games with my lady. So let’s not be so fast to get on the Mets for moving up the ticket prices. Like Tanya says just look at the Yankees prices..now that’s insane ticket prices.

I did read that the Yankees’ exhibition games against the Cubs in April would be 25 cents for bleacher seats and $1.10 for grandstand seats. These were the prices when the old mausoleum…I mean, stadium opened up in 1923. The other seats will still be pretty expensive for exhibition games, even though they will be less expensive than regular season games (going from $20-$50). I expect no seats at Citi Field to be as much as $50 for the exhibition games against the Red Sox. I hope I’m not proven wrong.

Robert

So how much higher shall the ticket prices be for Met games at Citi field for the regular season? Yes ticket prices for other sports are high. But baseball was supposed to be a ticket that the average family could afford. No more. It seems the average fan is being priced out ,being squeezed out, by high ticket prices that only the very rich and corporate ticket holders could afford. It isn’t just the Yankees either. The Mets are doing this too. No way is this a feel good story for a sport that seems to have a death wish.

No matter what, baseball will never die. The reason prices are so high is because of agents like Scott Boras who demands so much money for his clients. Higher payrolls equal higher ticket prices.