Another Mets minor leaguer has been suspended for 50 games for testing positive for steroids, this in a report by the Associated Press.
Kyle Suire, a second baseman, “tested positive for metabolites of Stanozolol”.
These kids just do not get it. They are completely screwing up their lives. I have had just about enough of it.
Apparently the humiliation and deterioration of some of the biggest names in baseball are not enough to get these kids to stop using.
Watching as Mark McGwire had to leave baseball and go into hiding to avoid the questions is not enough.
Watching as Roger Clemens’ legacy as possibly the greatest pitcher to ever play the game go down in flames is not enough. His name has been tarnished for all eternity. His name stripped of things he sponsored.
The greatest hitter in the game, Barry Bonds. What can be said?! He is no longer the greatest hitter. He is the greatest name in the steroids era. Anybody who hears his name will automatically associate his name with steroids. The greatest poster boy! He may be doing time. Yet the kids do not learn.
You know when they will learn? When they are banned from playing the game themselves! By that time, it is too late.
I’m not a fan of the drug policy in place. I think it should be much stricter. Being suspended for 50 games is a joke. I don’t believe in this three strikes policy either.
Here’s mlb’s drug suspensions:
- The first positive test would result in a fifty game suspension.
- The second positive test would result in a one-hundred game suspension.
- The third positive test would result in a lifetime suspension from Major League Baseball.
Here’s my punishment:
- Caught once: Miss a full season, community service for the duration of the missed season, and pay a fine of $500,000.
- Caught a second time: Banned from baseball. No fine.
That’s right. You get one shot to learn your lesson.
What I would like Major League Baseball to do with the money is sponsor programs to teach kids about the dangers of using steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs.
This needs to be stopped. This little slap on the wrists is not cutting it.
Here is a complete list of banned substances in baseball:
*Drugs of abuse
- Opiates (e.g., heroin, codeine, morphine)
- MDMA (“Ecstasy”)
- Phencyclidine (“PCP”)
- Any salt, ester or ether of a drug or substance listed above; and
- Human Growth Hormone (aka HGH)
- Amfepramone (Diethylproprion)
- Ephedrine (Ephedra)
- Phendimetrazine (Phenmetrazine)
*As provided by Wikipedia. Keep in mind there are new substances added as they are found.