Eaton Makes A Request

By / February 13, 2009 / Offseason

Adam Eaton has requested that the Philadelphia Phillies release him, according to the News Journal.

GM Ruben Amaro Jr., informed the pitcher he will not be a candidate for the fifth spot in the starting rotation. The pitcher decided throw a tantrum and is demanding his release.

Not that I can blame him. Who wants to play in Philly? Ha!

In July 2008 he lost his job to Joe Blanton and was sent down to Triple-A.

There are already four players who are currently in the running for the fifth spot:

• Kyle Kendrick: I feel he is the front runner.
  • Carlos Carrasco
  • Chan Ho Park: I feel he really does not have a shot.
  • J.A. Happ: The runner-up to Kendrick.

In reality, it’s a two-man duel between Kendrick and Happ. I think it is a little insulting to say Eaton has no shot, but yet Park does. That’s a slap in the face.

You cannot blame the Phillies either. Eaton’s numbers were not exactly great in 2008. He had an ERA over 5, a 4-8 W-L record, 57 strikeouts, 44 walks in 21 games.

Should the Phillies release Eaton, they will have to eat up most of his $8.5 million contract. Even if they were to be able to trade him, they would still have to take on some of the contract. Teams are being very frugal right now.

None of those fifth starter candidates impress me at all. I’ll take either Redding or Garcia over the Philthies’ potential fifth starter, regardless of who wins the spot for them. I still have no idea what Eaton did to deserve such a large contract but I couldn’t think of a better team to have this happen to.

Ok here’s a guy (Eaton) who’s coming of an awful 2008 for the Phils. Now he shows up for spring training and expects to be the 5th starter!?! You gotta be kidding me. This guy should be thankful that he’s in the Majors, playing for one of the top teams in baseball. I guess the Phils should cut him and let him go to a 65 win team like the Pirates where he’ll get his wish and be a starter. But he’ll also be on a team that will be out of the pennant race by June 1st. if you ask me, i’d rather be a long man in the pen for a championship team than a starter on a 65 win team like the Bucs or Nats.

I don’t know what he’s complaining about anyway. He’s going to be making $8.5 million to come out of the ‘pen. That’s not bad. I would’ve mind that.