Talk of Trades Already

By / February 23, 2009 / Uncategorized

MLB Trade Rumors has already begun to talk about guys that could potentially get traded by the July deadline.

Sheesh! The season has not even begun yet and trade talk is getting started. Three names being mentions are Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, and Brandon Webb.

I agree with Tim Dierkes’ opinion on Halladay. Should the Toronto Blue Jays (and I do not think they will) have a chance at contending, Halladay would be expendable and they could get great talent in return.

Regarding Webb, I do not see the Arizona Diamondbacks trading him, whether they contend or not. He’s their number on guy in the rotation. You never trade away your number one guy.

Head on over to MLB Trade Rumors to read about all the guys Dierkes thinks could be on the trading block.

I just think it’s funny that Toronto is always talking about trading about Halladay. With the Yankees, Red Sox and now Tampa as the 1-2-3 punches in the AL East, I don’t see the Jays contending. The D-backs have a better chance at contending because their division is a weak one. I don’t see them trading away Webb with a chance to make the playoffs.

Ethan Fishman

“Regarding Webb, I do not see the Arizona Diamondbacks trading him, WHETHER THEY CONTEND OR NOT.”

How Bout Them Mets!?

Roy Halladay is the #1 guy in Toronto by default. Besides AJ Burnett no one else would want to pitch there.

But than again, when the guy is always injured, whoever steps up and pitches his heart out is your #1 guy.

Before Erik Bedard was traded to the Seattle Mariners from the Baltimore Orioles, he made it known that he wanted to pitch in Toronto. He’s the only guy I know who wants to pitch for the Blue Jays. It’s his home team. Maybe Toronto should look into bringing him aboard. He could help them.

I just don’t think Toronto has a shot at contending, no matter what they do.

Ethan Fishman

Roy Halladay is one of the best pitchers in baseball. He would be the number 1 guy on like 90% of teams. He isn’t #1 by default, he is a Cy Young caliber pitcher who is on the same level as Brandon Webb.

Ethan Fishman

I agree, the Blue Jays must build for the future because their team right now isn’t going to get it done. However, I’m not sure trading a bonafide ace for prospects is the best move for them. They have great young pitching as it is (with Dustin McGowan, Shaun Marcum, and Jesse Litsch). If they can add a little offense to that than they could contend. They should try and build without disrupting their pitching staff. As far as Arizona goes, their team has some great young talent. If they can stay together (meaning not trade their best pitcher) then they could win a world series in a couple of years. Trading Webb doesn’t make sense for them at this point.

P.S: I know Marcum and McGowan are injured but they each have a promising future nonetheless.

With or without Halladay the Blue Jays will not challange the Rays,Red Sox or Yankees in the tough AL East. As for Webb if tha D-Backs are not having a good year i could see them trading him. The Snakes lost most of their top prospects in the Haren trade. They are looking to restock the farm with new players.

Ethan Fishman

If the D-Backs trade Webb they throw away their future. They have the talent to win multiple championships. Trading away their best pitcher seriously weakens that talent. The D-Backs are looking to restock their farm system, but they won’t trade one of the best pitchers in baseball to do it.

I don’t know…the D-Backs have no farm system anymore. They do have Max Scherzer who i think will be a good pitcher. But they really need help to contend.. Like i said the Haren trade hurt their minor league system..so did giving away Carlos Quentin and some top prospects to the White Sox. I’ll admit trading Webb is not something i expect to happen..but they cannot afford to keep a guy with a huge contract (like Webb)..if they’re not contending. So if by the trading deadline the Snakes are out of it..i could see them exploring the idea of trading Webb.

6.5 mil is a lot for a team like the Snakes. like i said i’d be surprised if he were traded..it’ll all ride on how the Snakes do in the first half of the year. I for one would not be shocked if Webb were traded. Of course 6.5 mil is not much to a team like the Mets..hey who knows..Webb could be a Met before the year is over..lol. Just jk.

Roy Halladay Game Worn Jersey Owner

G’day!
As an Australia-based Blue Jays fan, I found your blog on google and read a few of your other Blue Jays posts.
I just added you to my Google News Reader. Keep up the good work. Look forward to reading more from you in the future.