Pessimistic, Bitter, or Both?

By / April 19, 2009 / Uncategorized

My father was asking me if I was going to visit the new Yankee Stadium. I told him I would not pay to set foot in there. I would only go if I got a free ticket. I refuse to give them my money.

My fathers’ response? “You’re still bitter from 2000.

Mind you, he is a Mets fan as well. It’s because of him that I am so passionate about my team.

So I started thinking are Mets fans pessimistic or bitter?

Is there really a difference?

Yes, but you can make the argument that they go hand in hand. Bitterness can lead to pessimism and vice versa.

Think about what Mets fans have had to endure over the years. We’ve been cast into the shadows since 1995 when the Yankees made it into the playoffs via the Wild Card.

While the Mets have made some noise in recent years, this is still a Yankees town. Until the Mets bring a championship to back to New York, it will always be that way.

You can say all you want, like I have, that this is a National League town. So where are all the fans?

They jumped ship and joined the Yankees once they started their little run into infamy.

The Mets and their fans have been considered second class citizens of this town for what feels like an eternity. There is a lot to be bitter about and pessimistic about.

What have the Mets done for us? They’ve shattered our hearts, our hopes, and our dreams. They come close to giving us some excitement in October only to pull it away on the final day of the season.

In 2006, bases were loaded and the Carlos Beltran went down on strikes just watching the ball.

In 2007, they blew a seven game lead in September to the Philadelphia Phillies.

In 2008, the bullpen fell apart and cost the team a chance at the playoffs.

The Mets cannot hit with runners in scoring position. Something that still plagues this team today.

The Mets just cannot get the pitchers to stick around and pitch their game. At some point, half of them will blow a lead if they are given it.

The Yankees get the back page almost every day. The only way the Mets get the back page of the newspaper, is if they have another collapse.

Everybody looks down on the Mets. We can defend our team all we want, but to no avail.

At this point, we the fans can no longer defend this team. The New York Mets have to defend themselves. The only way to do this is to bring a championship to this city.

So you ask me am I bitter or pessimistic?

My answer and that of every other Mets fan is a resounding, YES!

Dave

My refusal to pay to go to the new Yankees Stadium is not pessimism or bitterness. In fact I refuse to go to CitiField unless I get a free ticket either. Ticket prices have been rising for years to the point where its hard for the average fan to afford to go to games with any regularity. Add in the current economic issues (bad timing that neither team could foresee at the time they broke ground on their respective stadiums) and it’s almost impossible for a family of four to enjoy a day at the game.

But my refusal goes back further than that. I have not paid for a ticket to a major league game since the last strike. It really irked me that millionaires were fighting with billionaires over problems that most of us could only dream of having.

I respect the ballplayers and their right to grab whatever money they can before their talent fades or injuries force them to leave the game. This is their skill and they’re entitled to make the most of it. But not on my dime.

Normally I would say you are in the minority. But since the games are so expensive now, I think there is a going to be a growing number of fans who will agree with you now.

Dave

RAY

I am very pessimistic when it comes to this team…Bitter not so much. Ya they got relief help but they really needed a bat and as much as everyone was against Manny, he would have taken him over the top. I still think Sheff has a little left in the tank but D in Citi has got to be a priority! They need to do a serious adjustment in the lineup. DWright needs to go back into the 5 or 6 slot until he learns to lay off the low outside sliders and off speed stuff. What happened to him he used to be great with 2 strikes. I guess teams have done their homework and now know how to get him out. Beltran needs to go back into 2 or 3 hole. Murphy has surprised me the Mets usually over hype these guys. Good for him hope he keeps it up. I think the pitching will be fine. But even last year my biggest problem was with the clutch hitting and the lack of the bis scary hitter! Yes they did score alot of runs but we had alot of blow out games. WOW I feel better now.

RAY

Phil Groh

Bitter, no. Pessimistic, yes. In the past, big players got jinxed after signing with the Mets. Others just didn’t care after they got their money. Santana has broken that trend. Beltran needs to be more aggressive. Reyes needs to be more patient. Wright needs to step up and be a leader, a LOUD leader! If Sheffield keeps his mouth shut and play ball, then he’ll be worth it. Perez needs to throw strikes. Outfielders need to catch the darn ball! I don’t like what I’ve seen so far.

I agree with Dave 1,000%!! Not on my dime!

dyhrdmet

tough question. My daemons left from the 2000 World Series were mostly exercised by the Red Sox in 2004 (there’s some irony in that). I still don’t exactly acknowledge that World Series because of the opponent (I would not buy a t-shirt showing what the Mets did if it included the Yankees on it). And they BLEW an opportunity to take control of that series in Game 1. At the very least, they wouldn’t have celebrated on our field. It took them a long time and a whole new crop of players and management to get over it. But I’m not bitter over that.

The new Mets had it all in 2006 and blew that. I still don’t think the franchise has gotten over the bottom of the 6th in that last game when they didn’t score after the Endy Chavez catch. Since then, shame on them, they fooled me once in 2007, and shame on me, they fooled me again in 2008. Going back to that low point, I’m pessimistic about the club, and will be until they convince me otherwise (I’m not quite sure what it will take, and maybe another housecleaning and rebuilding like they started after 2000).

Am I bitter? Not about any of that. Seasons come and seasons go. And it was fun while it lasted. But I am bitter over just about everything that Mets ownership has touched in the last few years, from tickets to memorabilia to new stadia to parking. I will continue to go to support my team, and some money to New Jersey transit and the Long Island Railroad to help get me there. Some years I’ve gone to games only once or twice, and others I’ve gone 8 times. And I’ll continue to go games as long as I have access to the season tickets of affordable seats. Or until ownership squeezes me/us out.

The Yankees are just noise that can be tuned out. I gave up reading a newspaper in favor of the beat writers’ blogs for my favorite teams (it’s the “green” method that will help put newspapers out of business). So I don’t look at the back page and see Yankees-this and Yankees-that. I ignore talk radio it’s just bad noise, and music soothes this savage beast. So I don’t have to hear what they want you to hear. I don’t know if it’s the montra of a Mets fan in a Yankees town (this is why I like Port St. Lucie so much), or a Hockey fan in a Baseball/Basketball/Football town. But I make it so I don’t have to hear what they do.

So to answer your question. Yes. I’m both. And please, move David Wright to either the 5 or 6 spot in the lineup. His lack of clutch hitting has hurt the team over the last year plus.

dyhrdmet

Let’s see am i bitter or pessimistic ? I would say pessimistic. I do hate the fact that for the most part NY is a Yankees town. Back pages of the Papers 80% of the time Yankees. Go to Times Square and you’ll see Yankees stuff everywhere. Very little Mets stuff. Even last year everything was Yankee Stadium. Shea was only a after thought in NY. I guess my feeling this way comes from all the teams i root for. Mets,Rangers,Jets and Knicks..need i say more. When a World Series title is brought to us loyal Mets fans,this is the way most of us will think. I hope the Rangers win the Cup in June,Followed by a Mets WS victory in October. I guess i’ll take it one game at a time. These guys need more heart starting with D.Wright. Step up David NOW !

Oh yeah…Being a Mets fan you’re always waiting for that first shoe to drop. Not long after that first shoe you know the second shoe will drop. But knowing this we Mets fans come back year in and year out. It’s all part of being a Mets fan.

Tanya great post! I guess, I am not like most Mets fans. So, my opinion on this will be very different. I am also an optismistic person. The New York Yankees and their fans don’t bother me one bit. They could win 150 games and it wouldn’t bother me. See, I grew up in the 80’s. I didn’t grow up in a Yankee city, I grew up in a Mets city. So, the Yankee don’t bother me. I don’t hate them. I do however, dislike very much, Floirda, Philadelphia, and Atlanta. And the pirates and the cardinals and the dodgers! Last year I took my dad to Yankee stadium, I paid for the tickets. He wanted to go, because as he said, you can’t appreciate the game and history of baseball and not want to go to Yankee Stadium. So we went. We walked around, we went to momument park, we took pictures, we sat down, we enjoyed the sun. The Yankees won by 14. On the ride home, my dad said, that was the first time I went to Yankee Stadium and it was beautiful. My dad is a die hard Met fan and a National League fan. But, above that he is a baseball fan. He talked about the 55 World Series, he talked about Mickey versus Willy. He talked about Ted Williams verus Joey D. He remember the perfect game larson threw. He takled about baseball.

Now onto my mets. And your mets also. 12 games into the season, the mets have done some bad things. Clutch hitting leads the way. Avoiding the big inning is second. But, three of the mets big hitters are streak hitters. Wright, Beltran, and Reyes. When they are on, they are on. They can catch fire and just pour hits, and runs on oppossing teams. The bullpen is much improved and I think Hernandez and Santana will have big years. I agree, that Wright should hit 5th.

Now, about the prices. I respect that some people can’t go or are boycotting the high prices. However, when I was growing up, my parents didn’t make a lot of money. So, taking a family of four to Shea was pretty expensive. But, they made it happen. Twice a year, we went. They saved up so that we could go. And it was awesome. Talking to my mom and dad about baseball, learning what a fielder’s choice was. How to keep score. Learning about the history of the mets and baseball. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I took my girlfriend and two kids to Citi Field on Sunday. I was able to bring in drinks, snacks, got 26 dollar seats and it was affordable for me. The kids had a great time, the ballpark is beautiful, I had no complaints. I intend to take my family to a lot of Mets game because I owe it to my parents.

God bless and Let’s go Mets!!

PS. It isn’t all bad with the mets. Show polish, black cats, buckners legs, 3 run 9th at Astrodome, Grand slam single, Tood Pratt?, wild pitch game winning runs, and of course; Al leiter, the fonz, and even ricky havnig a day in Cincy.

God bless and Let’s go Mets!!

Justin Leon

I honestly don’t care about the Yankees. Unless we are facing them, Met fans shouldn’t be concerned about what they are doing.

I really don’t get why we have to be envious of them and their achievements. They are 26 time WS champs. We have only 2. Those are the facts. The Mets will never be like the Yankees. This organization will always be the second team. I conceded arguing over that a long time ago and I am perfectly fine with that. That is exactly why I root for them.

I am not concerned about how popular we are in the city or who has more coverage. I am more concerned about how the Mets are doing and their divisional rivals, in particular the philies.

Justin Leon