Manuel Makes My Head Hurt

By / June 8, 2009 / Uncategorized

I hate to do this. I really like Jerry Manuel, but he is not making defending him easy.

Let’s think about this for a minute. Manuel said:

“We need to identify who we are right now.”

That’s a joke, right? You mean you have no clue?

Please allow me:

You are a banged up team playing minor league ball, who, instead of talking on the field, you are now doing your talking through the media.

Too many players are making bone-headed plays and you, the manager, are making things worse.

You cannot even put together a good line-up.

Here are my problems with Mets manager, Jerry Manuel:

• He seems to have forgotten who the key guy was last year that helped to save the Mets season: Fernando Tatis.He does not play him enough. With so many guys down and Daniel Murphy making quite a few mistakes, Tatis should have been getting more playing time.

Sheffield was been dealing with a bad hammy. Give him a break and let Tatis take over in the outfield.

Use Sheffield in a pinch-hitter situation then pull him for a runner. This way you let him heal somewhat without screwing yourself over.

• Manuel talks with fear. He’s afraid to really speak his mind. Maybe the Wilpons have a script for him now.

He just lacks personality and has become the new Willie Randolph. Manny needs to grow a set. President Obama gets better scripts.Bench the players that should be benched, like those that keep messing up on plays and cannot hit.

It’s your team. You tell the players what to do. Not the other way around. Is it possible to bench yourself?

Instead of going to a guy who can actually get outs, you kept bringing in J.J. Putz who kept losing games for us.

Does he even know what he’s doing anymore? Maybe Sandy Alomar should take over.

Sometimes I really have to scratch my head and wonder about this fool. It hurts to say that. I’ve always liked Manuel. He just seems not to have it anymore.

How can a manager go from great to horrendous in not even a year? Here’s how: the Wilpons. They never wanted a manager or a GM. They wanted puppets. Well that is what they have. Congratulations!

He seems to be more automaton than human. Unless he wants a ticket to the unemployment like the thousands of Americans already there, he needs to get it together.

Manage the team like you are already in the playoffs. Put some effort into it. When people start to question everything that you do, you are losing the confidence of the fans and players.

Jerry Manuel, you have been warned.

I Hate to say this…but..i have a bad feeling that as long as the Wilpons are the owners of the Mets, seeing a championship is just not in the cards. Manuel does look like a wilpon puppet this year. Last year he was a good manager for the Mets after taking over for Randolph. Why is he Clueless Jerry now ? If i had my way two things would happen to the Mets that would make them better. 1-Wilpons would sell the team. 2-Lee Mazzilli would become the Mets manager. I’ve told people going back to when Art Howe was fired that Mazzilli was the perfect choice and as anyone can see from his Pre-Game work on SNY from 06 till 08 Maz knows his baseball. He did ok in Baltimore with ok players at best. With Wright,Beltran and Reyes i see Maz doing great as Mets skipper. If the Mets don’t make the playoffs this year i think Manuel should go and Mazzilli named Mets manager.

efrain

i agree. how about preaching how luis castillo can lead off and with reyes out he put murphy leadoff and or cora. makes no sense. i said 3 weeks ago i feel like wille never left. if manuel goes though no more bench guys the whole staff has to go. i thought lee mazilli would get the job he never got a fair ahake in baltimore. and this sounds crazy but i would even take a shot at jose valentin. smart baseball man who has the respect of the players

There are still fans out there that do not like Castillo. I do not understand that. Castillo has a fantastic on-base percentage. He would be great as leadoff guy.

I don’t know about Mazzilli. I would like Bobby V. I’ve always liked him. He was able to do something with nothing. I mean that 2000 team had no business in the World Series.

efrAIN

bobby was great in using the whole 25 man roster. u r right something outta nothing. benny abgayani. i know i spelled it wrong. i just dont think mets would go back to him he is not a puppet

Denise

Right on the money Tanya! I agree with everything you said except that you do like him … I never did! lol

Denise

Phil Groh

Well said! I never liked Jerry either. He seems to be more of an opportunist than a manager. Play Tatis. Give Shef a rest. Castillo as lead off.

Phil Groh

efrain rivera

all excellent points. we all liked manuel when he turned it around last year. iam realizing he is a great people person relates great to the players but iam worried about his x’s and o’s

dyhrdmet

I agree with NYRNYM4Life that there will never be a championship banner raised at Citi Field while the Wilpons own the club (whoa, that’s a pun and a half).

For the thought of Omar/Jerry being puppets, I’d laugh if tomorrow night, SNY got a shot of Fred or Jeff Wilpon drinking a glass of water while the game or post-game press conference was going on.

dyhrdmet

Tanya, I always have a different option you know that. I never liked Jerry, because I saw him in Chicago and remember, he was the bench coach the last couple of years. Who does the manager ask for advice? Yes, the bench coach. I know Willie made the decision, but we don’t know how much Jerry influenced him. Also, at no point last year, did Jerry make himself out to be a good manager. Let’s think, the Mets started to take off during the subway series last year. Umm, that is when Delgado started to take off and Pelfrey began winning games. Nothing Jerry did. During the last month of the season, with no “closer” what did Jerry do? He pressed and he over-managed. He is doing it again this year. The media likes him, he is charming and funny. So was Bob Hope. You wouldn’t have him as the manager.

I do, however, disagree that the Wilpons will cost the mets a championship. That makes no sense. I don’t get it. Sometimes met fans just want to complain to complain. Sometimes they just want to blame someone. The mets have one of the highest payrolls in baseball, the highest in the NL. They just spent a lot of money on free-agents. They built a new ballpark, geared to help Santana. They didn’t want Manny, you can’t really blame them for that. 28 other teams didn’t want him either. So, why can’t the mets win with the Wilpons?