A Word From John Franco

By / July 1, 2009 / Media

Former beloved Met, and I mean former beloved as well as former Met because few like him or even care about him anymore, John Franco felt it was his God given right to mouth off on Sirius XM about the state of the Mets.

Here’s what the great John Franco had to say:

…you know, there’s still something missing there. I don’t know what it is the last couple of years. Watching them almost every day, there’s no leadership there. Nobody wants to step forward and be a leader. Something is missing and it’s hard to put your finger on it.

They got some great, talented players — [Jose] Reyes and [David] Wright and [Carlos] Beltran, now [Johan] Santana’s there — but I just can’t put my finger on it. It seems like, to me, they’re not having fun, even when they were winning.

Playing in New York, the pressure cooker here, so I’m sure there’s a lot of pressure on them, but they need to relax a little bit and look like they’re having fun. It kind of looks like they’re not having fun and everybody’s on their own page.

He should know about pressure and stress. How many games did he blow as a closer? Franco should not talk. After awhile, nobody loved him in New York. He was chased out.

As for being a leader, he was that in the front office and in the bullpen along with Al Leiter. You really think anybody else on the team cared about what he had to say? Those knucklenecks were part of the reason that Scott Kazmir was traded away.

Oh it did not stop there:

You know, you can’t give away outs. When you have to get four or five outs an inning, that’s cause for trouble.

I was down in Spring Training and [manager] Jerry [Manuel] had them guys working on fundamentals every day and doing the things that you need to do to win ballgames — taking the extra base, heads up, knowing situations. Every day you go in the meeting room and that’s what they talk about. They go out on the field and do it.

But once the game starts, I think they have maybe too much individuality, where guys are worried about their own stats instead of worrying about getting the guy over, not stealing third base with two outs which is really meaningless.

These are the kind of things that they’re dealing with, but as far as management and the coaches, they have those guys prepared. And as you know, Kevin, you’re only as good as your players, and if they can’t go out there and do the job, it’s making the manager look bad.

Franco should know a thing or two about giving away outs. I would need ten hands to count how many times he has loused up games for the Mets. Maybe he did not remember what the reason was for losing his job as closer.

WELL THERE IT IS BUDDY! IN BLACK AND WHITE FOR YOU!

You would think he would stop there, right? WRONG! Here’s more from the transcript:

Well, I was appointed captain of the Mets as a closer, so it was kind of weird that nobody wanted to do it. And I was a guy, even though I was a closer, if I thought there was a team meeting or something needed to be said, I had no problem getting in somebody’s face or kicking them in the rear.

And everybody knew where I was coming from because on some of the teams I played with, some of them were very bad and some of them were good, and sometimes some guys maybe weren’t respecting the game enough or some guys weren’t playing the game the right way or some guys weren’t doing things that they should’ve done.

And I would call a team meeting and call them out on it. And I didn’t care if they liked me or not. I wanted to win just as bad as the next guy, but I think I got my point across.

With the Mets, a guy like David Wright is a guy that I’m hoping – you know, I tried talking to him and tell him to come forward and be that guy, but I think David feels that being that he’s such a young player and you have the [Carlos] Delgados and [Gary] Sheffields and veteran guys like that, he’s afraid that they’ll look at him like, ‘Be quiet and sit down.’

Gary’s here and Gary’s been great. Gary Sheffield’s been great, so I don’t have a bad thing to say about Gary, but I think you need a guy who the organization is building around and is going to be here for the next five, six years.

David’s been here for five years already, and he’ll probably be here for another five years, him and Jose [Reyes], so that’s the core of the team. One of those guys has to step forward and take charge.

Here I do have to say Franco is right. Whoever the captain of this team is, it has to be someone who will get into people’s faces and call them out. So far, Johan Santana has been that guy.

There needs to be a captain. I do not think it necessarily has to be a someone who is going to be around forever. It could be Sheffield. Then, if Wright ever decided to grow a set and became one, he can learn what a captain should be.

It still does not end there:

And if they don’t win, guys pack their bags and they go home for winter and they say, ‘Okay, I get my paycheck and that’s it.’

So something’s not right there and hopefully they’ll get it right soon because otherwise it’s going to be a long summer. Thank God the Phillies aren’t playing as well, otherwise they would be a lot further back than they are right now.

Is there a reason he has not been slapped with a gag order? Oh please! Allow me to do it. SHUT UP STUPID!

I mean, really? Franco is nothing more than a man who gets called upon to go to Spring Training. He is nothing special. He is not hot stuff. Once upon a time, a very long time, he was good. He is not any longer.

Did I mention David Wright had something interesting in response:

With all due respect to Johnny, he doesn’t know what’s going on in this clubhouse.  I don’t feel the need to have to defend myself as a leader. If these guys in here respect me and think of me as a leader, then that’s what I need.

That is the Wright way to say, “Shut up you moron. You don’t know what your talking about”. Franco is assuming. You all know what happens when you assume something.

You make you “ass” out of “u“.

efrain rivera

ok reading this carefully except for a few things he really said nothing wrong. i mean i dont appreciate his questioning some motives here and i dont like guys who speak out who are no part of the team but. there are a couple of good points to make. i will take one for example we are all wondering what has happened to this dominate happy go lucky team that we saw in 06. and yes i too wonder of some of these guys are playing with their heads up their rear ends. but although he is not there lets not take away his credentials he was and excellent met. until k rod arrived and or wagner he was the best closer in mets history. he is the all time save leader among left handed pitchers. its a bit unfair to shoot down what he meant to the mets. i remember going to the park when it was empty but still looking forward to hear go johnny go at shea when he came to pitch and yes he had and incredible fire in his belly. i love johnyy franco and yes he loss his closer job cause he he got hurt and armando benitez became the new flavor. and his career was soon over after that. iam not going to single him out for saying a couple of dumb things he just followed the line of other great mets to say dumb things. did we forget gary carter and his public audition for willies job last year? i agree these guys timing is horrible but i will always love “go johnny go”

Johnny can take his comments and do something special with them. He has not right to make comments on this team. Mets brass should gag him like they did Manuel. This team is nothing to him. He needs to shut up and mind his own business. I agree with Wright. He’s not in the clubhosue. So he has no right to talk like he is.

Do not get me started on Gary Carter again. I’ve already touched on that one.

efrain rivera

Do not get me started on Gary Carter again. I’ve already touched on that one.

Joey

Well, the first part of what he said he was pretty much dead-on. We don’t have one guy that steps up like the Cardinals have Pujols or like the Brewers have Braun. We have a lot of great players, the ones that he said. But, those guys haven’t come out of the core and stepped up to try and turn this team around.

And to what he said about not having fun…that’s what it seems like. The Mets had much more fun when Franco was playing for them, late ’90s. Those guys were fun to watch. I was only a kid, but I remember. 2006 seemed to be a resurgence in the franchise, and the beginning of 2007 was the same way. You might remember we had a crapload of walk-offs in those 2 years, that’s what kept things interesting from a fans’ point of view. I’m sure it did something for the players as well. But ever since we coughed up the lead in ’07, we haven’t been having a whole lot of fun out there. They need to be reminded that they’re just playing baseball, a game they grew up playing in their backyard. They think too much about what they’re doing, and their surroundings. They’re a good team, but because of the lack of fun they’re having, as well as the injuries…they’re under .500 right now. For this team to have fun again and get back to a 2006 form or a 1999, 2000 form, is to get back to the playoffs. For now, we just got to compete.

Right now they aren’t having fun because they feel the pressure coming at them every which way. Can you blame them? They have another collapse staring them in the face. The only way the will have fun is to just let loose and forget about everything and everybody. It’s not an easy thing to do in New York. Nobody lets them forget their mistakes. Everyday they are reminded of them.

If people would just get off their backs and just root for them, then it would be easier for the team. In New York, that will never happen.

Joey

efrain rivera

i root for them and yes i dont agree with guys who have nothing to do with the team being “experts” my point is ripping franco for who he was and he was a great met. GO JOHNNY GO!! and yes many of his comments were dead on. but i dont like anybody barking up d wrights tree. iam not as a big of a fan of francesa cause of that anymore. but give johnny a break he was and all time great

Franco gets no break from me. He had no business influencing the front office with Leiter to make the trade that sent Kazmir to Tampa. His business was in the field.

efrain rivera

efrain rivera

i told u yesterday that trade started a chain reaction of events that has led to this team that has a chance every year, come on sing “go johnny go” with me.

efrain rivera

efrain rivera

ok i will send it to u lol. i guess we will just agree to disagree.

efrain rivera

ok i will send it to u lol. i guess we will just agree to disagree.