Be Careful What You Ask For

By / July 10, 2009 / Uncategorized

You wanted a trade right? You were screaming and nearly breaking down Omar Minaya’s door to make a trade. Well I hope you are happy. A trade has happened.

The Mets have traded OF Ryan Church to the Altanta Braves for Jeff Francoeur and cash.

So who got the better part of this deal? Some say the Mets because Francoeur is a righty and he is 25 years old. Right now he is batting at .250 with five homers and 35 RBIs.

Yes those numbers are better than Church’s numbers. Think though. Francoeur has played more games than Church, 82 versus 67.

Professionals seem to think this is a good trade for the Mets because he is younger and can work with him to get him back to what he is capable of doing. Jerry Manuel feels he does have power potential. So does other members of this line-up, but that does not mean anything.

I have always been a Church fan. I do not think he got a fair deal in this city. Rumors were flying that Manuel did not like Church. Well if they were true, I’m sure he is a very happy man.

Minaya had this to say:

“We were able to get a right-handed hitter and Golden Glove right fielder in a big ballpark like ours. Some consider him the best defensive right fielder in baseball.”

I think Minaya has started to smoke the platanos rather than eat them. Papa, que estas haciendo? (Dude what are you doing?)

Church had this to say about the trade in the Post:

“It probably could have been handled a bit different. It was just one of those things; as a baseball player, you want to play every day. It just happened it didn’t work out that way.”

“They like what I bring to the table every day, and that’s what Bobby expect. I look at it as a new start. I look forward to help out [and] begin new chapter.”

Very diplomatic. Good luck, Ryan. We will miss you. You were more than capable of holding your own here in New York. You were just robbed by the organization. You are better off not being here.

Some people may be big fans of getting younger. I am too. Yet, to me, making a trade for someone who you hope can get back to hitting they way they are capable of hitting is not comforting to me. You get a proven bat.

So here we are with the “lightening in a bottle” scenario again. I hate that scenario and would love to shoot the person who came up with it.

Next time Mets fans, be careful what you wish for. Try showing some patience for a change.

efrain rivera

welcome jeff francouer goodbye ryan church!!! THIS IS JUST STEP ONE!!!!

efrain rivera

welcome jeff francouer goodbye ryan church!!! THIS IS JUST STEP ONE!!!!

I liked Church, but I don’t know how much of a future he had in New York. Could you really see him as a permanent fixture in right field? Although Francoeur is only hitting .250, he has made great strides in making contact. He was always a guy who would strike out well over 100 times a season. In fact, he’s never played a full season without striking out over 100 times. This year, he’s only struck out 46 times in over 300 at-bats. That’s a big improvement. You can’t get a hit by striking out. This improved contact rate will eventually lead to more base hits and a higher batting average. Also, Francoeur has never been on the disabled list. He’s even played in all 162 games twice. He makes filling out the lineup card a much easier task for his manager. Church has been hurt both years with the Mets. When he has been hurt, the Mets bench has been weaker and no one gets the chance to become comfortable because there’s a different rightfielder in there every day. Right now, it might hurt to see Church leave, but if you give it a chance, I think you’ll grow to like Francoeur.

Church is a nice player. The two concussions killed him last year and Jerry didn’t like him. He played hard, he was smart, had some key hits, and played a very good defensive right field. I am not a fan of Jeff francour, yes he has a cannon for an arm and plays excellent defense, however, he is a big swing and miss guy. I hope he can develop, however, I don’t know. I will root for him, because he is a met. Maybe he can be a shot in the arm until Reyes and Beltran and Putz get back.

I’m with you on this Nilvio. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now. He did good yesterday. His problem is plate discipline. The Mets need to work on that with him. That was a problem for a lot of players, like Reyes.

At first i really did not know what to think of this trade. But after some time to think this one out. I like the trade a lot. Church is a good player but i think deep inside he just did not like NY. I’m sure Church is happy to leave the Big Apple. As for Francoeur i like his upside, he’s 25 and leaving his hometown of Atlanta will take a lot of pressure off him. He can come to NY and just play his game. I guess time will tell who got the better of this trade.