Good Fellas Meets Field of Dreams

By / September 6, 2009 / Uncategorized

Any person who has a home built knows you have to do your research. You do not just go to any contractor. You investigate anyone and everyone.

As little girls, we all dreamed about having Barbie’s dream house. We wanted the big house with the fancy furniture. My mother was no different.

My parents had a home built in the Poconos in Pennsylvania a few years ago. It was my mother’s dream since I was a little girl to live there. In 2000, that dream started to become a reality. Yet there were different contractors in PA.

My parents did their research and found LTS Builders to be the best. They’ve never regretted it since. My parents have their dream home and are very happy.

Well, the Mets had the same dream…a new home. It would be a home to be proud of. Until they sold their souls to the devil not once, but twice.

The Mets sold out just by going corporate. To make things worse, they enlisted a union heavily involved with the mafia to build their new dream house.

Proof?

The Union’s leaders and nine others have been indicted for corruption inquiries. “The men were named in a 29-count indictment that alleges crimes” that include civil racketeering. Other charges include the use of illegal aliens, fraud, perjury and bribery.

These are the guys that built our ballpark.

The end result? Destruction! The park is not even a year old and is already crumbling.

The New York Post spoke about luxury suites, that included the one Jerry Seinfeld owned, had serious water leaks which led to mold. While the Mets were on a road trip, workers had to come in to tear down the walls to find the source of the leak.

There are plenty more where that came from including:

A 4-by-6-foot illuminated sign falling in the field-level promenade during an off day.

A piece of concrete breaking off; it’s now sitting in a field crew’s office.

A black granite capstone on the stadium’s ground-level façade falling off. Yesterday, Mets workers were spotted fixing the broken tile.

And more still.

Do not get me wrong. Anybody who thought this park would come off without a snag is greatly mistaken.

When you build a home, the house has to settle. As it settles, cracks form in the walls, floors will creak, the central air conditioning will be defected, leaky roofs, and more.

Any contractor will tell you to expect these things to happen. It is included in the house warranty as well.

So I am not all that surprised the Mets are having some problems with the new ballpark. What matters is that they get fixed.

Dave Howard, the Mets’ executive VP of business operations, said these problems were anticipated. They had a checklist and knew there would be some snags.

All of these things are going to be addressed. Most of them will have to happen during the off-season. You cannot exactly take care of a drainage system during a baseball season. It takes a lot of work.

So for all of you “fed up” and what-have-you about all of this, I admit I was initially, these are your facts. You cannot have a newly built home without something going wrong.

If you have, give me the name of your contractor. I’d like to place a call to him and see if that’s true.

To the Wilpons, do yourselves and Mets fans a favor. Please do your research. Stay away from the Mafia. This way, we do not have to continue to be embarrassed for your foolish mistakes.

Source the New York Times and the New York Post.

Wow i read the NY Post artical and of course i just finished reading your blog. I gotta say i got more infomation from your blog Tanya. I had no idea that the Carpenters Union has Mafia ties !?! I bet any amount of money that the Daily News or NY Post have a story on this sometime in the near future. Think Reporters go to this site ? Hmmmm i wonder ! Anyway i hope Citi Field gets all the fixing she needs and is looking better than ever for the start of the 2010 season. Great blog Tanya as always. Good Fellas meets Field of Dreams…lol. Oh the pain of the 09 season…lol.

Hahaha! Wow! Where were you when I was thinking about a title for the blog? I think I’ll change it. Thanks for the kudos. I got my information from the New York Times though. lol

dyhrdmet

when I heard about this this morning, I was nearly speechless, though I didn’t hear or hadn’t heard anything about mafia ties or other crimes.

let me ask this – the new Yankee Stadium opened at basically the same time as Citi Field. Are they having any problems, aside from excess wind? Even if they aren’t major problems, they should be brought to light same as Citi Field’s. Prudential Center in Newark is almost 2 years old – did they have minor problems? What about other new stadiums and arenas around the country opened in the past decade? Not to pick on those other arenas, since those things probably should remain private, they should be brought up so it doesn’t look like Citi Field is alone in this. Or is Citi Field alone in this?

Actually it turns out Shea Stadium also had problems when it was first built. On opening day, the restrooms were not available. The toilets did not flush. Figures, right?

Most parks have the same issues which is draining problems. As far as actual construction like pieces of concrete falling, it does not seem like it has happened to any other parks. At least it was not documented.

I know this much..Tanya will have the Answers to those ?’s asap. That’s why i love reading her blogs. She always brings the High Heat !

dyhrdmet

did they ever fix the toilets at Shea?

the best-known piece of concrete falling was at Yankee Stadium in April 1998 when the Yankees came running to Shea to play 2 games (if memory serves me, against Detroit while the Mets were home to host the Cubs the same days). And I remember jokes about Nassau Collesium in the fall of 1998 when the Islanders were trying to get a new arena.

I do look forward to hearing about the physical faults of other ballparks (ok, that maybe came out wrong). I really don’t want this to be picking on the Mets or picking on the Union workers who built this. As much as I don’t like Citi Field (in principle or practice), I don’t want to see problems like this.

All cases of concrete and beams falling are from old ballparks. It’s happened all over. US Cellular Field has been renovated a dozen times for so many reasons.

A beam at the old Yankee Stadium fell as well which is why they eventually built the new park. I am fully convinced this is just a case of the media picking on the Mets. They figure “the Mets are dead anyway. Let’s keep it coming. It’s selling newspapers”.

I’m actually trying to get in touch with various parks to see what the employees have to say. They’ll talk if they remain anonymous.

dyhrdmet

Broadcasting Journalism, huh? looks like you might be going in the right direction. keep it up.

If the newspapers are going to pile on the Mets, I hope they’re at least not making things up and they’re keeping it truthful and factual.

Thanks. 🙂

I’m sure it is true. I remember when I went to the St. John’s game, there were some steps that were chipped at the corners. But from what I saw, everything else was fine. I do think they are nitpicking at this point.

dyhrdmet

until I see this stuff for myself, I’ll stick to picking on Citi Field for it’s lacks of affordable seats, Mets stuff and colors, and sightlines.