Mets Will Finish Last

By / February 4, 2010 / 2010 Season, Media

The MLB 2010 preview by Beckette is out on newstands and has the Mets finishing the season in last place. Here are the NL East rankings according to them:

1. Philadelphia Phillies
  2. Atlanta Braves
  3. Florida Marlins
  4. Washington Nationals
  5. New York Mets

Yes. It appears the Mets are going back to their cellar dwelling days. At least, that’s what they think.

The one thing the Mets have going for them coming into 2010 is the fact nobody is expecting them to do anything this year. People think the Nationals are going to do better. So there is no pressure where, since 2006, they have had nothing BUT pressure on them.

Believe it or not, that makes a difference. Think about it. Don’t you perform better when there is no pressure? Gentlemen, that question is for you.

The Mets can now just relax. They can go out and do what they know needs to be done…play the game.

Talk all the smack you want about Omar Minaya. Go ahead! Bottom line, he is still there. The game is played on the field. The Mets have been the favorites for years because on paper they were the better team. For all the good that did.

Now on paper they are no better than they were last year. So they go in with no expectations except what they have for themselves because it isn’t like the fans believe in them. I mean, why would a fan base stand behind their team? I mean, it is utter nonsense, right?

The Mets were injured last year. That’s why they did nothing. Outside of Carlos Beltran, they are all healthy, including Jose Reyes and Oliver Perez. I question Perez mental health though.

Other mags have the Mets finishing in second and third. Those mags cite the injuries they suffered last year.

Nobody has a clue where the New York Mets will finish. I like it that way. No expectations! No pressure! Nothing!

Where will the Mets finish? Have not a clue!

But I think they will surprise you.

In 2009 the mets were picked to finish first and most had them in the World Series. Predicitions in February, don’t mean much.

Martin

This may seem irrelavent but every year the world was supposed to end, the Mets went to the Postseason:
1986, 2000, 2006. 2012?

Martin

1986, 2000, 2006. 2012?

Frank

When I examine the division, I see a few things. 1)the Phillies aren’t much better than last year. I realize they got better on offense (if that’s possible) with Palanco, but Lee for Halliday is a trade off and not a deeper rotation as some would suggest. 2) Atlanta and Florida are not getting younger and also not getting better neither have added enough to push them past Philly. 3) Washington has gotten better. Adding Pudge helps immensely with the young pitchers and the starting staff is deeper now. They still will not overtake Philly, but they could win a few more unexpected games thereby playing spoiler. All of this considered, the Mets have more than a chance, however there are many if’s. For example, if #1- the many no name players they have signed this offseason contribute at all and more importantly if #2 – they shake the injury bug, and if #3 – the previously injured players come back to form. Also, if #4 – the mental asylum that is the pitching staff can finally perform up to their expectations and contracts. Finally, if #5 – they play with passion, hustle, fire, intelligence, heart and proper execution, then and ONLY then will they not only be able to compete, but be a legitimate contender for the World Series. Have I forgotten anything? Any thoughts?

If #6 Jeff Wilpon crawls back into the hole he came from.

I think the Mets have a chance at maybe the wildcard. I think people are counting them out before really thinking things through. There is a mess in the front office that is not getting addressed and that is where the problem is right now. I don’t think the team itself is in as much trouble as the office is. I think nobody wants to come to play for the Mets because of that mess.

Frank

If #6 Jeff Wilpon crawls back into the hole he came from.