Mr. Wright, Please Shut Up!

By / February 18, 2010 / 2010 Season, Spring Training

The past few years the players have decided to take the bull by the horns and say what they think will happen. Carlos Beltran is the first one who comes to mind when he proclaimed the Mets to win it all in 2007. He made a similar comment in January last year.

Now it is David Wright’s turn. Here’s what Wright is saying:

We expect to win the National League East.

Here is an FYI specifically for Wright: The entire New York Mets fan base has been expecting this since 2007. What have you given us? Nothing but heartbreak. Which has resulted in nothing but resentment. Which in turn results in low expectations from the majority of the fanbase.

I have a message to every player of the New York Mets, shut your mouths. I do not care what you expect to do. Just go out and do it. I’m tired of hearing “we expect…” or “we will win…”.

No, no, NO! At this point, the fans just want you to win. We do not care what you expect to do. Every team expects to go out and compete.

David, put your bat where your mouth is. You want to play “El Capitan”, give us a reason. Take control of the team. Hold everyone accountable. Laying down expectations is not enough. You have to lead them because that is what a leader does.

Wow! An incredible concept, I know.

Wright this is all on you. There is Carlos Delgado. It is either you or nobody. You better learn to hit again. Otherwise, do not expect anybody to be listening to you. You had better leave your heart out on that field during every at-bat and thensome.

It seemed Johan Santana was going to take the role of team leader last year. He did everything right. He did not have to talk or make predictions or anything. He backed up everything that I’m sure was going through his mind with every pitch he made.

If Wright starts to flounder again, I nominate Johan Santana to be El Capitan. At least he walks the walk.

Yes I am being harsh. At this point, they deserve it. No more excuses! It is a new season. I like to keep the expectations low. I expect nothing except the best they can do. Anything less than that is not acceptable and should that happen, they should be run out of town.

If Wright making this statement is his way of holding the team accountable, then so be it. It is rather smart. He is holding them accountable in public; in front of the fans and media.

But if this was not his plan, I do not want to hear it. You only set yourself up for disappointment.

Tony Russo

Wow, that’s more than a little harsh for you. You’re usually the voice of reason. (I’m usually the voice of uncontrollable rage.) Welcome to the angry side. If you’re wearing purple pants and your skin starts to turn green think calming thoughts or, at least, go visit the ownership.
Good post.

Deise Winter

I couldn’t agree more. Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder than words. Shut up and put up. I don’t care what the players have to say. I don’t care if they never say a word. Just win!

The Coop

I am FAR from a DW fan (totally think he is not a leader) but I do understand what he’s saying. He did not necessarily say “we are the team to beat” or “we WILL win the NL East” and get all Mark Messier on us (actually, Mark Messier carried the 94 Rangers on his back, so I’d kinda like that performance after DW’s abysmal 2009 campaign). He said “We *expect* to win the NL East” — while it’s not demonstrative (DW never ever is) he wasn’t arrogant about it like Beltran, Pedro or Delgado were in 2007-2008 campaigns, when ya know, the team LOST in horrible humiliating fashion (besides Beltran and Santana every single one of the Mets should have personally apologized to us in 2008). What DW should have said was, the Phillies have the pressure on them since they won the NL East three years in a row, so we’ll just have to prove them wrong and win it all in 2010. I could live with that.

Frank

I am tired of this mouthing off. Every year we are subjected to this. Every year we give teams like the Marlins and the Phillies board banter. They get new reasons every year to hate the Mets. If it’s not Beltran, it’s Delgado. Now it’s Wright. You didn’t hear Derek Jeter saying anything last year did you? No. He is a leader and he knows what saying the wrong thing will do in New York. Our leader, like it or not is David Wright. He still has much to learn. For example, when asked what your expectations are this year after such a dismal and disappointing last season, don’t say “That is the expectation I’ve gotten from the guys who are here early, and I [expect] this team is to get back to where we are winning the National League East.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/amazin_forecast_3IkurlqwhJbR0kRUODqTKI#ixzz0futMiaDj

Frank

The Mets have an inexperienced leader. What did Derek Jeter say last season at this point? Nothing this harmful. He knows, as every good leader in NY should know of the damage such comments would cause. Every year we as fans are subjected to this. Why? This only gives other teams billboard banter. This is the reason the Marlins played so hard a few years ago, and the Phillies whipped us down the stretch back to back times. David, learn from your teammates mistakes as a true leader would. Learn from other leaders in the city. Answer with a laugh or a no comment, but whatever you do don’t do this! When asked what your expectations are after a dismal and disappointing season, you don’t answer, “That is the expectation I’ve gotten from the guys who are here early, and I [expect] this team is to get back to where we are winning the National League East.” (NY Post) He also added that he expects the team to win the World Series this year. Are you kidding me? Be a leader of a bounce back team, David and like Tanya said, shut up!

It’s taking me a little bit of time to get through all of the comments between here, FB, and emails. Thanks for all the comments and emails. Love it!

@ Frank – I agree with you. Wright is inexperienced. But so was Jeter at one time. And not once did he come out like Wright did. Wright should have been learning from Delgado. Delgado was as close to a leader as the Mets have seen in a long time. Even Santana was playing leader for awhile last year. Wright was too busy trying to fix his hitting problems.

@ Taryn – I would love a Messier performance from Wright. And that statement just made me sick because I’m not a Rangers fan. lol Nor an Islanders fan people so relax. lol Do you really think the Mets expect to win the NL East with the rotation that they have? I mean seriously! Think about it. I’ll be content with a wildcard entrance into the playoffs. Give me that and I’m happy. But I agree with what you said in that Wright should have said the Phillies have all the pressure.

@ Denise – Exactly. I don’t want anybody talking. I want people hitting, fielding, running, pitching. I want to see it happening.

@ Tony – LOL! I’ve always been a little angry. I just try to work in reasoning with it. lol But thanks.

Frank

I don’t have a problem with what David Wright said. What do we expect him to say? We expect to finish in 4th place, maybe 3rd? No, every professional athlete is a competitor, the season is 6 weeks away. It hasn’t started yet. Every team has the same opportunities to win ball games. I would only have a problem if he said the word “guarantee”.

Another thing, why does David Wright have to be a leader? Will making him a leader make him a better ball player? Leadership is something that is earned and shouldn’t be given. Why can’t David go out play a solid 3rd base, hit .320 and drive in runs? He can do this without being a “leader”. Let’s be very careful to make someone a leader because he is good at his job.

Tanya, I am not sure who would be the leader. Leaders have to be respected by everyone on the team. I don’t know who that is. Maybe Santana