A Whole Hearted Idiot

By / March 3, 2010 / Media

I am expecting to be reimbursed my 50 cents for having to read the trash that was written in the Post today.

You have to love the New York beat writers. I mean, they are so amazing. Yes I am saying this in total sarcasm.

In case you missed it, Joel Sherman had a field day with the Mets in today’s New York Post. Now I get to have a field day kicking his butt back to the hole he dared climb out of.

Tell me, Mr. Sherman, did you really learn anything when studying journalism? I don’t know. Maybe something about not stirring up trouble where there is not any?

Here is what the most illustrious Mr. Sherman has to say in the Post:

These are the 2010 Mets and their greatest curse just might be that they follow the 2009 Mets.This is their closest relative, and their closest relative was a screw up….

So what is making it difficult to fully invest faith in the 2010 Mets? Several items, but let me highlight two:1. The Mets announced yesterday that Francisco Rodriguez’s pinkeye still was not cured and to avoid contagion, he needed to stay away from the team for at least three more days. But here is the problem: He already had been quarantined for this virus earlier in spring and then permitted back for the three days before yesterday. As part of trying to distance themselves from the 2009 medical follies, the Mets’ big motto this spring is “Prevention and Recovery.” But how does allowing a contagious player around the team fit “Prevention?”

The 2009 Mets acted foolhardy to rush players back on the field. So if lessons were really learned about last year, why take even the small risk of spreading a nuisance around, especially considering no one needs less preparation for the season than a closer such as K-Rod?

2. Mets personnel are now blaming former VP Tony Bernazard for the drill last spring that forced players to hit to the opposite field to exhaustion. Let’s assume that is true, doesn’t this reflect worse on all the lemmings still around who went along with this dopey idea: Let’s have players strain their bodies by doing an unfamiliar act beyond fatigue?

Scapegoating the recently dismissed is an art form around the Mets. It was not long ago when everything that had gone wrong was Steve Phillips’ fault or Jim Duquette’s or Art Howe’s or . . .

Fred Wilpon showed up earlier in this camp to say the baseball operations department picked the players who tanked in 2009, not ownership. Of course, ownership hired all the executives who picked players, including Bernazard.

That lack of accountability is so 2009, and makes me wonder if it already has bled into 2010. Are we nearing when Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel will get the Bernazard treatment, losing their jobs and being blamed for everything wrong as a shield against ownership ever taking full responsibility for how this franchise operates?

Yes I know I normally do not quote so much. But I wanted to make sure I got all of the stupidity in. I mean, talk about garbage.

The one thing that took a huge portion of the article was Francisco Rodriguez’s pink eye. Seriously? Pink eye? Pink eye is the only thing you got?

Well of course not. You had to jump on this whole Jose Reyes and Carlos Beltran thing with the FBI. There really is no story there. Yet leave it to Sherman to say this:

This has nothing to do with the Mets’ current predicament of being more tied to the FBI than the RBI.

Beltran and Reyes certainly did not have their performance enhanced since both players’ leg problems worsened after seeing Dr. Anthony Galea and surgery ultimately became necessary.

Really Sherman? Did you figure that out all on your own? Wow! What a revelation! I think my IQ just jumped 10 points just by that alone.

I think someone needs to tell Sherman that Adam Rubin is doing well and is not bitter. So get over it. No need to continue the Mets bashing.

I have never been so embarrassed by another journalist.

I mean, wow. Was there anything to really report on? Apparently the whole part of an article needing “substance” is a concept that Sherman cannot grasp. What the hell was the point of this?

Hey Sherms, maybe one day the Post will take responsibility for your crap and let you go. At that point, maybe we can get some real journalism.

His article sounded more like a child screaming to his mommy:

Mommy, mommy. The big man hurt me.

Since “mommy” could not save little Sherm, he lashed out at the Mets.

What happened Shermey? Were you lobbying for a job and they said “no” to you and this is the only way to get back at the big bad men in corporate?

To take a word from my friend and CFoD reader, Kerin in Boston, you Mr. Sherman are nothing more than a whiney, neglected, has been, “ass hat”.

No go back to the Yankees because you know nothing about the Mets or how to report on them. Or better yet, go apply for the New York Daily News. You can work alongside the bigot, Bill Madden. Stupid is as stupid does.

Joey.T (NYM-NYR-NYJ-NYK)

Great blog Tanya ….thank you for putting Mr.Sherman in the corner with a Dunce Cap on his head. As i read this artical i kept asking myself “Where is Sherman going with all this garbage?” I’d like my 50 Cents back too…..smh. The way i see it is you just spoke up for all the smart die hard Mets fans and i thank you for that. As always keep on keeping it real. Love the “Tanya-isms”….lol.

Joey.T (NYM-NYR-NYJ-NYK)

efrain

my thoughts were the same when i read that vrap this morning,harper is another blank! they have nothing to write so they write crap. like last week they wrote how the jeter contract situation could get nasty. r they serious??? great article. i hope everybody picks us to finish last,i wanna kick some a–!!!

efrain

Denise Winter

Tanya, your best post yet (at least that I have read)!! This was absolutely great!

Frank

Tanya, calm down. Have some dip. I don’t think it is as horrible as everyone is yelling about. It is the first week of March. What else are they going to talk about? The split over the Braves? No. They get paid to make up garbage to fill a paper with. I personally don’t think he was stating anything that wasn’t true. Aren’t the Mets trainers a joke? Isn’t it a conflict of team slogan to let a contagious player back into the clubhouse while still contagious? They, the major media outlets, unlike the true fan, are still harping over last year and making comparisons to this year. He states at the end about last year bleeding into this year. That makes my point. I think this stuff will all wash out when the games all start up for real. The story of Reyes, Beltran and Galea is the same thing. We as fans, and people like you and I as journalists, have to keep our eye on the ball. Let’s just say, ‘forget him’. Maybe because I live next to Philly, I’m a little more patient with the criticism, but that’s my take on it. Don’t rip into me too badly Tanya, remember I am a fan too and a fan of you.

This is for Frank. Two things: 1. Don’t ever tell me to calm down. 2. You’re the only one who gives any credit to Shermey. There are other stories to talk about outside of what he wrote. He is just saying crap to fill up newspaper space. The Post is a rag as it is. Now, even the sports writers are talking more like gossip columnists. I’m sick of these “journalists” talking about a player going to a club, losing some weight (some of them should ask what their secret is), and who is dating who. This is freakin’ sport. Not Hollywood! Give me something good or get the hell out of my face.

Frank

Joey.T (NYM-NYR-NYJ-NYK)

Ok Frank trying to defend Sherman is like trying to defend someone like Phony Bernazard…..smh. It’s all good Frank what i think you should do is read past Sherman articals and you’ll see this is not the first time he wrote such garbage.

MVP Gotham

Great post Tanya. You can always tell how much you love your New York Mets with your writings.

Sports Journalism has taken a turn for the worse 10 years ago and it’s not getting any better.

I honestly could care less about Sabathia’s weight, David Wright’s new hair cut or Jerry Manuel doing the butterfly to EPMD’s Crossover in the locker room. This is Baseball. Pitch the ball, hit the ball and coach the team. That’s all I care about.

If you are so infatuated into the lives of players than that’s what TMZ is for, live over there and give those phonies and stalkers the ratings they deserve for being the poor excuse of pathetic human being’s they are.

A great writer in the Newspaper world is a complete rarity these days, which is why I never ever pick up the newspaper and instead go towards the bloggers like Matt Cerrone, Adam Rotter and Brian Bassett who give it straight to the fans and never ever talk about who the next celebrity girlfriend is.

These guys love the sport, as does Tanya, and this is what SPORTS are all about. Not slop, filth and peeping tom garbage that most sports fans today are into.

Keep up the amazing work Tanya.

Tanya! I love reading your work, it gets me so excited for Mets baseball. I am picturing the old Channel 9 logo and the crate full of oranges and baseball for spring training. I love it.

Tanya, I agree, baseball fans are not into gossip. Sherms, as you put it, could have written about Ike Davis, or David’s Wright swing, or Matthews Jr and his possible role on the team. Or even, something about the game. Like, how the mets played the worst infield defense of any NL club last year and added to it by making 3 more erros in the infield. Mets fan appreciate it, even if it is poor play, we want to read about that. We follow our team!

Tell me about who is surprising you and who is disappointing. But, please leave the FBI out of it, and pink eye? Really? Come on!

Nilvio as always you hit the nail right on the head. That is my whole point. There were plenty of other things to talk about. Oh and thank you so much for the compliments. lol Whether you agree with me or disagree, it is always great to hear from you.

Thanks Jonathan. I try. lol And you are right as well. If we cared about all of their personal lives, we would pick up a rag.