Lee Coming To NY?

By / June 24, 2010 / 2010 Season, Rumors

According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, the New York Mets and the Minnesota Twins are considered the frontrunners for the services of MLB ace, Cliff Lee.

Who is being offered by who?

The Mariners want offense and prospects. Well the Twins are willing to part with their top catching prospect, which is what the Mariners are craving for, Wilson Ramos. They are believed to be building a package around him because they do have Joe Mauer.

However, the Mets have more to offer. They are being rumored to be making Jenrry Mejia available and Angel Pagan since Carlos Beltran is due to come back.

Personally, I say make the deal Omar Minaya. It is a good deal. Do it with a catch. It gets done when the Mets are able to keep Lee for at least three years. I’m not giving up my players for a rental. I want Lee for now, 2011, and 2012. It is a good deal.

Tom Greenhalgh

I highly doubt Lee is going to be willing to sign a deal mid-season before playing a single game for the Mets. He wants to be a free agent (get multiple bidders to drive up the price) and I just don’t see the Mets swinging that at all.

Tom Greenhalgh

No, I realize that. But at the end of the day it comes down to money. On one hand he could win a world series for the Mets and exact his revenge and you’d think…well, now he’s definitely gonna stay. But if loyalty were anywhere near money in importance, wouldn’t he still be in Philadelphia? And if he doesn’t help the Mets win it all (which is far from a lock, contrary to popular belief) what’s such a sure thing about re-signing him when a team like the Yankees is sure to drive up the price and outbid?

Harrison Schwartz

If it costs Meija & Pagan, I’d say do it. Meija is a nice prospect but only time will tell. And prospects are risky. The players the Mets gave up for Santana are not currently tearing up the majors. Pagan has had a nice run and may become a good major leaguer but he becomes expendable with the return of Beltran while becoming the cost of acquiring Lee. Starting pitching may be the most important component for any team in any sport (with the possible exception of a hockey goalie). A staff led by Santana (no longer pressured to be the stud number 1 in every start), Pelfrey (looking like the real deal) and Lee could make the Mets legitimate world series participants.

Harrison Schwartz

DyHrdMET

since you put that stipulation that Lee remain a Met for 2 1/2 years, I like that deal. I’m a bit weary giving up our new-found Centerfielder without knowing if his future replacement will come back to form when and if he does come back from injury. But otherwise, your deal makes sense.

But by all accounts that I’ve heard, Lee wants to test the free agent market and not guarantee himself to NY now. Of course Omar could go and break the bank for Lee overpaying like he’s overpaid for other players (like Luis Castillo and Oliver Perez), so that part isn’t out of the question (i.e. buying his away from free agency).

DyHrdMET