React To Bobby V Hiring

By / June 25, 2010 / 2010 Season

Well by now you have all heard that Bobby Valentine and the Florida Marlins have a tentative four-year deal in place for him to manage the Florida Marlins. Is it true? Those are the reports on so many sites.

Here’s the funny thing. Bobby V has not even interviewed for the position yet which he is scheduled to do tonight. Other reports have Marlins ownership also interviewing Arizona Diamondbacks third base coach, Bo Porter.

I asked Mets fans on the FaceBook CFoD fan page what their thoughts were if Bobby V managed the Marlins. Here’s what some said:

• Alan L. – glad hes there to get rid of the hire bobby v comments…….. where r the fire jerry comments now? they dont exist when the mets win……
  • Donna B. – he should have been HERE but we dont have him….not good for METS but great for fish!
  • Andre T. – Nope not nervous at all our team is still better than theirs.
  • Allen S. – Worry No Way the fish have more issues to worry about than just a mgr. Bring on the Marlins we will fillet them

Here is what Efrain R. had to say which is a huge point:

There is not a thing any met fan should worry about! He was a very good manager,but I hear mets fans treating him as if he was a multiple ws winner! He has none!!!! None!!!!! If manuel gets fired at the end of the year then they will probably bring backman! And backman and valentine both have 0 ws rings,so its not like the balance of power has shifted. Bad move by loria anyway,if he thought he had problem with fredi regarding hanley,wait till he gets a load of bobby v!

Now this is something Mets really do not think about. We just think about the fact that helped get the mets back to the playoffs in the 90’s and the World Series in 2000. So why are really screaming for him to come here and having conniptions of him going to the Marlins?

Will this even work? Why are the Marlins bringing Bobby V aboard?

Look, if the Marlins are worried about having a fan base, they would be smart in leaving Edwin Rodriguez as manager. He is the interim manager. He is also the first Puerto Rican born in PR to manage in the majors. Miami is full of Latinos. One report said should Bobby V be hired, they may leave Rodriguez in while the Marlins face the Mets in Puerto Rico.

Well, do they not think they could gain more fans be leaving Rodriguez in as manager? They’ve won two World Series rings. Their fans still did not fill up that ballpark. Give Rodriguez a chance to see what he can do.

How does Rodriguez feel about the chance?

I feel very prepared for the job. [At] the same time, I’ve managed a lot of players here on this team. I feel very comfortable with the team and the talent that we have right now.

This is something that people fail to realize is important. To have a successful team, you have to know your players. He’s worked with some of them in Triple-A. He knows his players. I say at least give Rodriguez the year to show what he can do. I’m just saying.

Sources: USA Today, MLB, ESPN

Edgy DC

I’m not it’s fair that World Series titles should be considered the measure of a manager. No alchemist yet has learned to turn tin into gold.

A good manager can certainly get more out of his players, and the best can get the most out of them. But that, in the end, may still not be enough. I doubt John McGraw at his best could have done much more with the 1962 Mets than Casey Stengel did.

Edgy DC

gravediggerhebner

It appears that the on-again, off-again negotiations between Bobby V & Florida are off-again, at least as I type this.

I have a great deal of respect for Bobby V he got a lot out of a not too talented (at least offensively) Mets team when he was here. But I personally prefer that the Mets don’t try to re-claim the past with a manager hire. Davey Johnson was great too but I don’t want him back either.

This may not be the best analogy but it reeks of re-marrying someone you previously divorced. You long for the good times and forget about the bad times until you’re back together then you remember why you broke up in the first place.

Whoever the Mets hire should be done purely looking at the present and the future not the past.

gravediggerhebner

Edgy DC

Well, the discussion isn’t really centered around whether Valentine should return to the Mets as manager, as there isn’t currently an opening in that position for the team.

The issue is whether he’s good, despite having no MLB championships on his resume (and I think he is), and whether he can hurt the Mets as the Marlins manager (and I think he can).

Regarding your reasons for not being interested in rehiring though, I’m not sure I can work with that analogy. I mean, I didn’t divorce him. Steve Phillips did. And I think most of us have rejected Steve Phillips judgment in the interim. So there would be no shame in reconciling, if the timing was right and the braintrust believed he was the best man.

Edgy DC