Mets Fans Cannot Stay Away

By / August 26, 2010 / 2010 Season

Well it is the morning after the Citi Field sit out. Needless to say, it did not happen. At least nowhere near where they wanted it. Why? I like to think it is because of one Mets fan, and CFoD reader Donna Bauer, who stood up and said:

“I am a Mets fan through and through. I will support my team no matter what. I will still go to the ballpark.”

Since Donna was so passionate about this sit out, I asked her to write a little piece about it. She wrote this last night, but since I was at work, I could not post it until now. Here is what she said:

SIT OUT…..I don’t think so. I won’t be a part and I hope you won’t either. I do agree with our rights to show and tell management how we feel. But a SIT OUT is not the answer.

A SIT OUT hurts the pocket books of the wrong people. The people who would be attending tonight’s game are mainly the people who have already purchased their tickets. I doubt that there is going to be a large walk up for tonight’s game.

You are telling the people who already spent their hard earned money not o tog and enjoy the one thing they spent it on. Possibly hundreds down the drain. Not to mention trying to explain to the family why they can’t go. You will surely be hurting these people a whole lot more than the Wilpons.

If you want to organize to let management know how we feel, there are other ways to go about it.
We could arrange a massive letter writing campaign, or organize a PROTEST outside of Citifield or SNY and alert the media. Get the masses to work for you at no cost to the working man or loss of fun for their families.

Still not sure what effect any of that may have but it sure beats spending money and not getting to see a game. SIT OUT………..NOT THE ANSWER…..

Ms. Donna was completely right. It certainly was not the answer and you all made that clear by still showing up to the ballpark. I was against the sit out, but for a different reason. I was against it because being a fan means sticking with your team no matter what. This includes bad ownership.

Look at the Pittsburgh Pirates fans and Baltimore Orioles fans. They still go to the games because, not only do they love their team, they love the sport.

Every time I have spoken to a Mets fan about the status of the Mets, they all say the same thing: For the love of the game they still have to go to the ballpark. We are all baseball addicts. No matter how much you hate what is going on with this team, like it or not, you still watch them. You still go to the ballpark.

There is nothing like sitting in a ballpark and hearing the crack of the bat as it makes contact with the baseball. If it is hit hard enough, you sit there in awe as the ball sails to the warning track and just barely makes it out for a home run. You enjoy sitting there watching in anticipation of a no-hitter.

What about your baseball family? For all those season ticket holders, other ticket package holders, or if you have friends you just meet up with at the ballpark because you met on Facebook or Myspace (if anybody is still on that one), you have bond. You do not get together except at Citi Field. After all, when the season is over, you say your goodbyes until the following year.

Yes, Donna Bauer was more than just right when she said the sit out was not the answer. Ownership already knows how Mets fans feel. Contrary to what you may believe, they are not stupid. They listen to the radio. They hear the rumblings. So even sending petitions and doing protests outside SNY or Citi Field (which would be a bit hilarious in my opinion) is still not the answer.

Let me ask you a question. What did you do in the early nineties? Were you at Shea Stadium? Did you still watch your team play?

If you think you have it so bad, have you taken a look at the New York Knicks? Maybe some of you are Knicks fans. What about the New York Rangers and their fans? You think we have problems? Try having James Dolan as your owner. Now that is a problem. He keeps raising prices on Cablevision subscriptions and he still cannot put anything out there to be proud of. But I digress. You can learn a lot from those fans (and this is coming from a Devils fan) and even Jets fans. They will still pack out their games.

So you have some choices:

1. Stay true to the orange and blue by sticking with your team no matter what.
  2. Find another team to root for.
  3. Stop watching baseball, unless you are a true baseball fan.

The decision is yours.

As for Donna and myself, I think you know where we stand. True to the orange and blue through thick and thin.

Jordan Darnell

I agree, I am on this board for Jeff and for my new friend Tanya lol. Thanks to Franceour i didn’t think I would be friends with a Mets fan. I’ve been watching the Mets for Francoeur since he left Atlanta ( as long as it doesn’t interfere with my Braves- I have direct TV MLB pass lol) and to me it’s really sad to hear fans of a team talk so much junk about the team, or go for the other NY team. I could never do that, Much like Tanya I would NEVER turn my back on My team. I bleed Braves blood and have had great times at Shea rooting for my Braves lol. I expect all Met Fans to bleed Blue and orange… not Yankee colors. Now if the Mets go on to win the rest of the games this season and knock out The Braves I will kill myself lol j/k

LOL Jordan at this point Mets fans will be happy with a wildcard. Heck! Forget the division. Just give me the wildcard. See Jordan, we’re not such bad people once you get to know us. lol But it drives me crazy when Mets fans turn around and start rooting for the Yankees because they are winning. Those are not the true fans. I respect the onces that stick with it no matter what, like through hellish 90s.

Jordan Darnell

Ann Marie Kraemer

I couldn’t agree more! Donna is part of my Mets family and has been for years. I agree, a sit out is not the answer. Even when we are not happy with what is going on there is still a bond with the team and our friends that we keep in touch with. Going through the ups and downs, together is what keeps the family strong. Being a die-hard fan is an amazing thing…you can cheer for your team and complain about them at the same time! Love you Donna! You make times like this in bearable for all your family members!!!

Ann Marie Kraemer

DyHrdMET

You and Donna make good points, but I think a statement needs to be made, and part of that statement is showing 10,000 in the ballpark. As long as we’re fans, we’ll keep going, and Businessman Wilpon has our money (and it’s a lot of money). As long as they’re winning, we will go more. That’s fine if they hear us. We want them to act, or over time, if this continues, the fan base will erode.

mets mgmt sucks

Only an idiot keeps buying overpriced tickets, food and merchandise year after year to root for a mediocre team run by incompetent management and greedy owners who obviously don’t give a damn about the fans.

A sit out? Are we protesting a war? I love my meties, yes they drive me crazy. I have been glued to the braves series. The braves bring me to reality. The biggest problem with sharing a city with the Yankees is that we as fans (even I am guilty of this) believe we need a all-star at every position. This isn’t true. My God look at the braves. Omar Infante and Martin Prado couldn’t start in the majors two years ago. They got better. Rick Ankiel is a wash-up baseball player – yet he produces. They have two real stars on the offensive side (McCann and Chipper). They have a young bat who could be a star. They have guys like Melky and Diaz very good role players. And clutch vets in Glaus and Gonzalez. Their pitching is very solid (not great however, other than hudson). But, you get quality starts from them and they have a solid bullpen. They win at home also.

With all of that said. Can we put together a team where young guys get better, starting pitchers give us quality starts, bullpen throws strikes, and we have a .700+ winning percentage at home? I think we can. However, our scouting has to improve and our winter league players need to improve. I don’t want a big fish next year, give me a good arm who will fit into the rotation. Give me an aggressive minded manager. Give me a clutch veteran. That’s all I want.