Bobby V-Backman Make Explosive Combo

By / September 2, 2010 / 2010 Season
By / September 2, 2010 / 2010 Season

New York Mets fans are fully realizing their dreams have yet again been dashed away. Why? Formore reasons than I can count. Ineffective management, poor use of relievers, lack of hitting, lack of…well just about everything.

The straw that broke the camel’s back? Take your pick.

We can look at all of these things all day. It does not matter. What does matter is 2011! What do we do about next year? Where do the Mets start to recover?

Let’s start with a new manager.

I posed this question on the CFoD fan page on Facebook just the other day:

If you could choose, which manager would you prefer on the Mets next year: Bobby V or Wally Backman? Choose wisely.

Needless to say I was bombarded by Bobby Valentine comments. There were some interesting ones. Here is what some of you had to say:

John Tierney and Jose Mercedes want Bobby V as manager with Backman has a bench coach.

Joel Meltzer wants Bobby V as a GM and Backman as manager.

Jonathan Ragus and Anthony Kilgore want Bobby V back because of experience.

Ramon Guadalupe feels the Mets should bring Backman up because they should not move backward, but rather move forward. (I have an argument for this).

There were lots more. I just cannot put them all here.

Here are my arguments for both. We’ll start with Bobby V as GM. While it is an interesting thought, how do we know he can actually get the players here? What GM is actually going to listen to a blowhard like Bobby V. I love him and all, but that’s what he is. If he doesn’t get what he wants, he’ll have a fit on the phone. He does not have the people skills required.

Argument for Backman instead of Bobby V in order to move forward, goes like this: Why? If that is the case, the Mets should not be inviting past players to work with present players. Is that not considered moving backward?

My favorite of all of the comments left, were the combination of Bobby V and Backman as manager and bench coach respectively. As Tierney said in his comment:

Wally can learn from Bobby and then take over in a few years.

That is the key here. There is the option of having Backman move up in the ranks. However, would it not be better to have him learn up at the Major League level? We do that with players all of the time. No better way to teach Backman than have him shadow Bobby V.

Here is the one thing to consider. I say this as a joke, but it is a legit concern as well.

Think about this for a moment: A third strike is called by the umpire. It is actually a ball. Bobby V comes out of the dugout kicking, screaming, cursing and what have you. He gets thrown out.

What then?

How I see it? Backman comes out of the dugout and continues where Bobby V left off.

Go ahead and laugh. It is a rather funny thought. You’re probably laughing because you know it can happen.

Either way, one of these guys need to come to the Mets. Think of all of the blown calls the umps made this year. What do you think they would have done? Each of them, as manager AND bench coach, would have been ejected at least 20 times each throughout the year. Maybe more.

When it comes right down to it, does it really matter? They are both capable of motivating these players to perform. They both have winning seasons. Well, Backman has one winning season. Hey! It was his first season with the Brooklyn Cyclones. It counts.

Bottom line is the Mets need to do something and need to do it before 2011 to get fans to come back. Agreed?

Efrain Velazquez III

Once again I have to agree with you Tanya. We definitely need a change and fast. We need someone to light a fire under their behinds and Valentine & Backman can possibly be the ones to do that. I’m not gonna lie, although I laughed at what you said about both Valentine & Backman getting ejected in the same game, its a chance I wouldn’t mind taking. The Mets have no fight, spark or unity in them. Valentine and/or Backman could be that stick of dynamite that the clubhouse needs to wake this team up.

DyHrdMET

i like the scenario of the double-ejection. i started laughing out loud before i even read your comment on laughing.

Bobby V and Wally B is an intriguing pair. But what about giving Wally the chance with Bobby V as the experienced guy on the bench? in other words, flip flop the roles that you mentioned.

but Bobby V or Wally B could only do so much. lots of other things need to be fixed to make a full turn around. but at least the games would be more entertaining with a firey personality like one of those guys than they are with Jerry Manuel. Hey, maybe Wally Backman can motivate Howard Johnson to be a better coach.

I think I would pay money to watch those two argue a call. Good stuff Tanya.

I don’t think it would be fair to either Backman or Bobby to have either guy be a bench coach without the managers permission. Bobby V will never be a bench coach, he is a manager, so that idea won’t work. And Bobby, if he is the manager should be able to pick his own bench coach (the most important position on the bench).

I don’t want to see any change now. I say, lets look for a manager when the season is over. Why bring someone in now? The team is a .500 team, let them be.

I agree that changing the manager doesn’t solve all the issues, but it is a start.

The straw that broke the camel’s back? Take your pick.

Let’s start with a new manager.

I posed this question on the CFoD fan page on Facebook just the other day:

Joel Meltzer wants Bobby V as a GM and Backman as manager.

Jonathan Ragus and Anthony Kilgore want Bobby V back because of experience.

There were lots more. I just cannot put them all here.

Wally can learn from Bobby and then take over in a few years.

What then?

Efrain Velazquez III

DyHrdMET

I think I would pay money to watch those two argue a call. Good stuff Tanya.