Just say NO to Torre

By / September 22, 2010 / 2010 Season

The pros and cons of hiring Joe Torre as the next manager of the NEW YORK METS.

In my opinion there is no way in HELL the Mets should rehire Torre as the manager. But I will still make a list of the PROS and CON so we can all make an educated decision.

CON….He is too old.

CON….He is probably burned out from lack of time off from managing.

CON….His family hasn’t seen him during the summer for like decades.

CON….He would want more money than the Wilpons will be willing to pay (THANK GOD)

CON….He is best suited for a team of mostly veterans….aka overpaid Yankees.

CON….His last World Series was 10 years ago.

CON….He is an AL manager who has lost the ability to correctly manage the bullpen.

CON….He is not firey (AKA  no balls) enough- which is what the METS now need.

CON….He is known as being the manager of the team to have the worst ALCS choke in history.

CON….He has already managed the METS and had not one winning season…Avg winning % was .404

CON….He managed the Yankees…enough said.

WOW! All of these CONS and for the life of me I can not think of one PRO, That must mean he is not suitable to manage PERIOD, let alone manage our team.

So if the Wilpons are listening or reading they will see that Torre is not the answer. The following things need to happen to make the Mets a winning franchise again:

1. We need a manager with experience and BALLS, aka Bobby V or Wally B.
  2. We need a GM who is able to work side by side with said manager and along side Jeffy boy.
  3. We need coaches that have actually excelled at their jobs and know how to TEACH  aka Cliff Floyd or Todd Pratt has hitting coaches or the likes of a Jesse Orosco as pitching coach
  4. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get us a medical and strength and conditioning staff that has a CLUE.

For once, just once, I would have liked to see the staff make an injured player come out of them game immediately so that they do not suffer the CONCUSSION SYNDROME.

With all that said I repeat…DO NOT HIRE TORRE HE IS NOT THE ANSWER.

zieleappeal

Kenji

Now I have to go off on your club. I pretty much agree with your Torre assessment, heres what needs to happen with the mets to contend:

Omar Minaya…You must go now. Your lack of moves and your strange handling of basically everything shows you don’t have the game you had when you were in Canada and no one put you under the microscope.

Trade Reyes now for a frontline starter. Hes a pompous jackass that only cares about his own numbers.

Lockup Niese, hes your Pettitte. Your 3 starters are good, but you could use another rock to backup Santana.

Get a manager to kick some ass up in there. Bring back Davey Johnson. You won a world series with this guy. if he was able to control the cocaine addled 1986 Mets, he can handle the Beltans and Bays – that is a fact.

Bobby Valentine’s ego is bigger than Mr. Met’s head. I have met him twice and wow he is a bona-fide piece of work.

Give Bay a chance. He’s a VERY good player that has been stung by bad luck.

Beltran might need to go back to KC. I saw him in brooklyn at a rehab stint and everytime he came in from centerfield, he ran in with his head down, while kids screamed his name. Finally, my girlfriend yelled at him: “Hey Carlos! At least SMILE at the KIDS!” (douchebag…quietly of course)

Anyway. Theres my 2cents. Give Torre a slight break, he’s a good man. As for lighting a fire under someone? no, but he dealt with some of the worst schmucks ever.

Metsie

First let me say I agree Torre is not the guy for us.
ok now I will chime in on your choices.

Valentine
CON – Not a guy who manages Veterans well. Management style pisses them off and creates more controversy.
CON – Laid back team we have will not respond to a guy like Valentine!
CON – Will only continue press controversy and distractions not remove them!
CON – wants more money (AND POWER) than the Wilpons are willing to pay or give up!
CON – Has never won a world series
CON – Most recent experience is in Japan so really has no experience with how to gameplan against current players or managers in the MLB.
CON – Treats his coaches notoriously badly will not be able to lure the best in the league.
CON – Not a HOFer which is what this team needs if it is going to respect the guy leading them!
CON – bad at managing pitching
PRO – Great with youthful teams that lack fundamentals
PRO – Good at recognizing youth that are getting it and playing them

Backman
CON – Not enough experience
CON – Will never get the respect from guys making 10 times what he does per season
CON – Will get himself in trouble withg the press before opening day.
CON – Laid back team will not respond to Wally’s fire and until there are players he can substitute for them there will be no change.

What we need is a low key, well respected guy who the Vets will have to listen to. A Charlie Manuel or Bobby Cox type. And even if we find one it will amount to nothing until we get a player with leadership (like a Rollins or Pujols) who can show these guys what it means to respect and make an effort for thier manager!

This team can;t be fixed by just replacing the Manager, A GM might get the Leadership player I mentioned and by changing the GM you have to let him pick his manager, but until we get that leadership in the lockeroom I don’t expect any changes we are going to make this offseason to be fruitfull UNLESS they go out and sign a Cliff Lee and one other front line starter to replace Santana and shore up this rotation, Plus that leadership guy who can show these laid back vets the way it’s supposed to be done.

86 Mets had Hernandez…Who do we have? Wright? Beltran? Lets get serious!

JR

The days of a Keith Hernandez type leader are done folks. It’s a new wave of “leadership” unfortunately.

There’s no such thing as a veteran who’s going to walk over to a rookie position player during a game and give him a pep talk or a pat on the back and say don’t worry kid, next inning its all yours go get em’!

Time to get a manager to whip these lazy asses and me first players into shape. Is it Joe Torre? HELL NO. Torre got lucky and landed with a team that didn’t need a bona fide coach. He knew when to speak, but he always knew when to be hands off. You don’t need to coach 10 to 15 year vets. Plain and simple. They know more about TODAY’S style then most of the Manager’s in the league.

Tanya, I couldn’t tell if you were joking or if you were serious. I always enjoy your writing style, even if I don’t agree with your assessment.

I would entertain the thought of bringing in Joe Torre. Sometimes met fans have short memories. We talk about Joe torre needs to be around a veternan ball club. Torre took over in 1996 – Jeter, Pettite, Mo, Posada were all rookies. Not too mention young players like Bernie (who no one could get to be a good player until Torre took over), Tino, and Brossius (sp). The core of the team was young. yes, those Yankees had veternan bullpen guys, veternan third basemen, a veternan catcher, and guys like Cone and Key and a veternan bench. But, please don’t say that Torre needs veternans. Additionally, the Mets are a pretty veternan team. Beltran, Bay, Santana, Wright, Reyes, Pelfry, Dickey all veternans.

I think a new GM is key; but really the mets don’t need much to be a playoff team again.

Look at this projected line-up:
Reyes
Pagan
Wright
Beltran
Bay
Davis
Thole
Tejada

That is pretty good.

Also, Pitching
Santana (if healthy)
Niese
Dickey
Pelfry

That is also pretty solid

Mets need a legit number two starter, a reliable closer, another arm in the bullpen

A veternan catcher and middle infielder
A very good bat off the bench

I would also take a flyer on a veternan starting pitcher. Can never have enough arms. I really think the mets should look at javy vasquez. He is a NL pitcher and hey might win us 13-18 games at Citifield.

Donna Bauer

WOW Great to see so many opinions on this topic….General consensus..NO TORRE…I really dont have the answer as to who the best MGR candidate is but it is not JOE…..But we do all agree CHANGE MUST BE MADE SOON AND EXTENSIVE….I really cant wait for Oct 4th..DOOMS DAY in FLUSHING…hope lots of people had a good savings plan….
I will be very very disapointed if MAJOR changes are not made as will all of you….I am not a talent evaluator but really believe that we keep Wright and Reyes and then add the kids …Tejada and Davis ..then we will have a pretty damn good infield. As for the outfield, Beltran is expendable…centerfield belongs to ANGEL…then Bay and all you need is a right fielder with a bit of power. As for pitching..well that is where we need to go crazy. Santana may be out for the whole year so we need an ACE to go with Pelf, Niese, and Dickey and a #5….bullpens always need tweeking and we may need a closer..groom Parnell…Catchers… Thole and Blanco work just fine.

Well again this is all JUST MY OPINION….but I cant wait to see the changes and for FRED”S sake they better be good.

Donna Bauer

Sorry Tanya….

Donna, we still need a number two pitcher.

And Robert, why wouldn’t you want Javy Vazquez. He dominates the NL. He can’t pitch in the AL, but he will lead the mets in strikeouts, innings pitch, and probably have an era close to 3 in spacious Citi. I would consider it, plus he would come cheap.

Sorry Tanya….

Donna, we still need a number two pitcher.

I think the mets would be pretty dumb not to look at Torre. He did go to the playoffs for 13 straight seasons. That is a guy we want! Met fans and the organization sometimes don’t get it. A guy puts on a yankee uniform and he isn’t good at what he does. That is nonsense. If Joe Torre was manager of the mets next year, I wouldn’t have a problem, as long as the mets add starting pitching.

And how is Carlos Beltran expendable? Angel, a career .240 hitter is now better than Beltran? Unless, the mets are getting a guy like Matos from Padres or Cain… then how do we trade him?