Personal Log: Being a Mets fan is a privilege

By / March 7, 2012 / Spring Training

Photo Credit: Karen Sokolowski

I get it. The Mets are the joke of Major League Baseball. They have not accomplished anything since 2006. Their owners are being sued. Players are constantly injured.

The Mets training and medical staff are nothing more than a laughing stock. We hear jokes about our team on the radio, television and read about it in the papers.

Yet despite it all, I consider it a privilege to be a Mets fan.

You may think I am crazy. Think about this. When was the last time you believed in anything? When was the last time you were part of organization who’s motto is “Ya Gotta Believe“? The New York Mets give us that.

Two other Mets fans on Twitter feel the same way. Here is what they had to say:

@JoeyStugotz6: privilege bc I grew up rooting for the underdog team, & Mets were the team I loved (ie: Todd Hundley)

@Tyler_TSH privilege, because we can honestly say that we are NOT bandwagoners, and it shows. And when we win a WS, it will feel so better.

@RobPatterson83 (Mets Fever.com) Can it be both? Privilege to be part of the best fan base in baseball, but the franchise just might be cursed..

You and I both know that you did not believe in this team during the winter break. The thoughts running through your mind were all negative. You agreed with what was being written and spoken about them.

Then it happened. What people thought could not happen. Johan Santana took the mound and pitched two strong innings yesterday. He stood on a mound. It was not on flat ground. He pitched. He did not just merely throw a ball.

It may mean nothing to some. To me, it meant everything. It meant this team believes. It meant there is a burning desire in this team to do something. All it took was an ace who seemed to have nothing left after surgery two years ago.

Jeurys Familia Photo Credit: Karen Sokolowski

I find it exciting to be a Mets fan. It is thrilling to see our young kids in the farm come to spring training all bright eyed. It gives hope to those who feel they may not accomplish their dreams. These kids fought hard just to get an invite. Now, they are on their way to being our next Doc Gooden or Darryl Strawberry. They will have an impact on this franchise for years to come.

Believe in this franchise. Forget what is happening in the front office. Only look at what is happening in Port St. Lucie right now. The Mets are going for it.

The message Terry Collins is sharing with this team is believing in themselves. If they do not do that, then why should anybody else believe?

There it is. It is not a message just for the players. It is a message everybody could benefit from. Never doubt. Always believe. A true fan sticks around and believes even when their eyes tell them not to.

Karen Sokolowski

Tanya..I could not be more proud to have my pictures associated with this blog…I am truly honored.

You hit my feelings right on the head. I have been a NY Mets fan all my life and loved every minute of it. Through the good times and bad. Being at the game when Santana took the mound for the first time was nothing less then exciting. I never felt such a shift in the energy at the ballpark. Suddenly there was hope, a light at the end of a long dark tunnel, a resurgence of the passion of being a True New York Mets Fan. I have hope and hope is what we need the most of right now.

I hope to be able to work with you again in the future.

Hi Karen. Thanks for the comment. You are an amazing photographer. I love being able to share them with Mets fans everywhere. We will definitely work together again.

I’m jealous you got to see Santana. I would love to be able to see him come opening day at Citi Field. What amazes me is how one player can bring so much positive energy to a team. Especially one who needs it in the worst way like the Mets. Despite the bad times with this team, I don’t think I have ever said that being a Mets fan sucks. The losing certainly does. But not being a fan of the team.

Karen Sokolowski

I hope to be able to work with you again in the future.

Phil Naessens

Hi,

I didn’t see a baseball game for 8 years and I must say that being away from it for so long made me appreciate my teams (Mets/Tigers) in a way I’d never dreamed….in fact it’s made me appreciate the overall game far more than I ever expected.

I guess you don’t realize what you have until you don’t have it any longer. After my show with Kerel I was able to watch the Mets Cardinals and I was like a kid waiting for Christmas morning….I’m glad Johan is back but I don’t need him to have hope…

It is a privilege to be a Mets fan….

Phil

Phil, I didn’t know you were a Tigers fan too. You didn’t mention that on your show. We have to talk about that one day. Watching Mets baseball can be aggravating at times because of the hard times this team is going through right now. I wish I could change it. However, like you and most Mets fans, I still root hard for the orange and blue. Always will.

Being a Mets fan is great because the Mets fan family is awesome. I made some great friends just by rooting for this team. It brings strangers together. Fans from other teams would probably say the same thing. But with the Mets, it is completely different.

Phil Naessens

Hi,

It is a privilege to be a Mets fan….

Phil

Trump

Another Mets Nazi who tries to dictate just what a “true fan” is

Eff you. There’s no virtue in suffering

JRagus

LOL @ Trump. Another fool who hides behind a BS handle.

Tanya hits the nail on the head. Win or lose, it’s a privilege to be a fan of ANY team. The ones who whine, cry, complain or act out like this slob with the “eff you” comment are nothing but “fans”. Yes, “fans” are way different than fans.

Jump on and off that band wagon when a team wins or loses.

A real fan sticks with their team.

No matter what happens with the Mets and my love for them it will always be a PURE PRIVILEGE to be a fan of this team.

Orange and Blue till the day I die.

From Joe Orsulak to Ronnie Cedeno… till the day I die.

JRagus

LOL @ Trump. Another fool who hides behind a BS handle.

Jump on and off that band wagon when a team wins or loses.

A real fan sticks with their team.

Orange and Blue till the day I die.

From Joe Orsulak to Ronnie Cedeno… till the day I die.

DFried

Here’s my take: Being a Mets fan doesnt completely suck. In fact, over my 20+ year tenure as a fan, I’m pretty sure it’s been, on average, a rewarding experience. But that doesn’t mean I feel privileged to be a Mets fan. Yes, being a Mets fan is probably better than being a Mariners fan or a Pirates fan. But even so, I don’t think I enjoy any special advantages because of my loyalty to this franchise. Let’s be honest, it’s not easy rooting for the Mets- especially recently. And while I applaud your enthusiasm and “hope springs eternal” sentiment, I think you’re conflating two ideas. Being optimistic is great, but I don’t think I should be thanking the heavens that I have the ability to root for this club. I’m glad the Mets are my team. But it’s no privilege to cheer for them.

Hey DFried. I agree with you. I would also hate to be a Cubs fan. Can you imagine being a fan that long without anything to show? Think of how many people have died being a fan without seeing a World Series. Not that sucks. That is pure misery. Nobody is saying to “thank the heavens” for being a fan. I just think it is fun to be one. It is not just the team. It is the fan base that also helps to make it fun, even if they can be just as aggravating as the team itself.

DFried

Lindro 88

This is honestly one of the silliest topics ivevever seen. Secondly the mets fan base of which I am one, is the most negative I’ve ever seen. They boo the pitchers if they fall behind 2-0. I’m one of the positive fans but also realistic, I hope for them to be better then expected but one good johan outing in spring training hasn’t gotten us back on track. The talent level of the starting pitchers is as poor ascany in baseball. I’m hoping they all have career years. My true hope is in the pitching talent on the way, guys like Harvey and Wheeler.

Hahaha Lindro. They really are the most negative fan base. Cubs fans have every reason to be negative, but they aren’t. Still, the Mets fan base is awesome. It may seem like a silly topic, but it is just personal opinion. I was talking to a couple of Mets fans about this on twitter the other day and decided to turn it into a blog.

You are right though. There is no patience among the fans, but that is because they are tired of losing. Patience is not their forte. The future looks great with the pitching and that is the one area that this organization seems to always be suffering from. We take our miracles wherever we can get them, even if that means just one outing by Santana.

Megan

Yes! I might get down when things go bad, and losing Jose was really tough, but in spite of everything that’s happened these past few years I wouldn’t trade being a Mets fan for anything. This team’s given me something to believe in and cheer at times in my life when nothing else did. Being a Mets fan makes me feel like a part of something. We will win one day and it will be all the more amazing because we earned it. It is a privilege to root for this team and I will love the Mets until the day I die.

I still believe and I always will.

Megan, I love your energy. I completely understand when you said, “This team’s given me something to believe in and cheer at times in my life when nothing else did.” There are other fans who feel the same way. When this team wins, the fans feel like they won with them. I remember in 2006 when they won at Shea Stadium and became the NL East Champions, the guys came out to celebrate with the fans. they made the fans feel like a part of the celebration. I thought that was awesome.

You keep on believing, Megan. Let no one tell you otherwise.

Joey Torres

“Trump” come on dude, you just don’t see the point in this blog. Mets fans are BORN not MADE (like Yankees fans) and yes the ballclub right now is a hot mess, i will still say with pride “I am a Mets fan !” and yes it is a privilege to be a Mets fan too.

Joey Torres